Monday, December 17, 2007

Camera Confessions

So, I really want a new camera. Currently, I have a Kodak Easyshare DX7590, which I got for Christmas two years ago. It's traveled with me to China twice, to Haiti, Honduras, and all over the USA. It's endured sandy days at the beaches.. and the multiple times I have dropped it. My only complaint about this camera is that it takes HORRIBLE night shots!! It's pretty user friendly and has a fast shutter speed, which is essential for photographing children. It has been a good camera.. but it's older and I'm ready for something new. (Isn't it funny how the camera is only 2 years old.. but already it feels like an ancient camera??)

The other camera I sometimes use is my Mom's 8 megapixel Nikon Coolpix. It's a nice camera, especially for what she payed for it, two years ago! But, it does not do well when photographing children. The shutter speed is awful.. and it also takes horrible night photos. I'm just not very impressed. Now, it takes awesome scenery pictures.. I was very impressed with the ones I took on the Great Wall back in August. But as far as photographing children.. it just isn't working for me.

In college, I plan on majoring in Journalism and concentrating on Photojournalism. I really love photography, and I'd love to specialize in child photography. So.. I'm currently in the market for a new camera and I'd love hear any feedback you might have! The one brand I'm looking at is Canon.. they seem to have an excellent reputation, but I know they aren't cheap!

Any wisdom or advice would be appreciated..


5 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey!
I also love photography and photo editing.
Well, I'm asking for Christmas for a Canon EOS 400D.
I went to get some information about it and they told me the better brands are Canon and Nikon...I told them I'm not a professional, kinda a starter in Reflex cameras. They told me I could use the Canon eos 400D or the Nikon 80D. Both are very good and easy for starters, there are better ones with more options (if you're a professional) But for starters or people who know just a bit they told me about these ones. If you want more info email me ;)

Keri said...

Head over to Sophie Lu's website. They are having this same discussion in the comment section. http://www.waitingforsophie.blogspot.com/

Keri

Donna said...

I'm a big fan of our Canon Rebel XT. It takes great pictures and is fast and pretty easy to use. If you really spend some time playing around with it, you can get it to do amazing things! I usually just shoot pics in the "auto" mode since I don't have time for anything else. But the closeup mode is incredible.

All the pics on our blog since we adopted Gwen have been taken with the Rebel XT and a decent quality lense.

Happy (camera) hunting!

Donna

Global Girl said...

I'm now looking at the Nikon D40X or the Canon Rebel XTi.

cottage girl said...

I love my Nikon D50. LOVE. I hear Canon is great too though. If you are planning to try child photography, a SLR is a must. You will never go back. The extra $$ is worth it.
And try www.flickr.com. You can get lots of advice and examples there.