Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Hometown Hershey

Today we headed north and visited Hershey, Pennsylvania.. the birthplace of not just chocolate, but also Elena and I! We were born at Hershey Medical Center while my Dad did his residency training and lived there for about three years. We still have friends who live here and love coming up to this wonderful *sweet* little town.
The familiar aroma of chocolate began the second we stepped out of the car and lasted all day long. (And oh it smells so good!) We didn't have a whole lot of time here today, so we took the kids to Chocolate World, a fun little complex right next to Hershey Park. We took an interactive ride through the process of chocolate making, watched a 3-D movie and then shopped through the largest chocolate store I've ever seen! I was in Heaven in an aisle devoted to only the best candy ever, Reece's. Mom was thrilled to find tons of delectable dark chocolate options and Dad exercised his credit card! The kids just ran around and enjoyed burning off all the energy.
Later, we went and visited our friends, "Grandma" Delores and "Grandpa"
Dick. Grandma Delores was my first baby sitter and we've continued to stay in contact. We first went and visited the hospital since she was supposed to be having hip surgery yesterday. We were a bit shocked when we asked the floor attendant and she said Delores wasn't there! Turns out, a last minute x-ray revealed that she wouldn't need the surgery! So.. we headed over to their house and visited for a few hours. It was great to catch up and remember about my obsession with Barney when I was little. =)
Then, we ate dinner at our favorite restaurant, Friendly's. Mom & Dad used to take us there all the time when we were little so it was fun to go back and sit in the same spot we did 15 years ago. Esther and Emma enjoyed their first Friendly's Sunday's!
Enjoy the pictures..Notice why I don't have that many pictures of Elena? Because every time I try to, I get the expression she has in one of the below pictures!
Tomorrow plans on being an extra special day, especially for Esther. More tomorrow!! =)





4 comments:

Don and Be said...

We love keeping up with your family's adventures - you really keep your blog up to date!

cottage girl said...

My family went camping at Hershey every year in the fall when I was growing up. I love going back to Chocolate World and driving through the town to see the Kiss lights. My favorite was the Hotel Hershey up on the huge hill above Hershey Park. So many memories at Hersheypark too! Sounds like your family has many fond memories there too. Love your post about Baltimore too. I live outside of Annapolis which is about 45 minutes from Baltimore. It's a beautiful old sailing town on the Chesapeake Bay. You should check it out. Enjoy your visit!

Sonya said...

Sounds like a wonderful place!!! I know the Hodge kidos would love it!

Sonya

Annie said...

You were just about 1/2 hour away from my house... I can't count the number of times I've been on that ride at Hershey chocolate world. "Hershey's chocolate, Hershey's chocolate, it's a hershey's chocolate world. Wherever you go, no matter how far, you're always near a Hershey's bar. . . "